I just wanted to let everyone know that in under two days, gmail has blocked over 200 pieces of spam. So far, there are zero false positives. I'm excited.
First off, let's get something straight: Islam is a violent religion. The Koran clearly states that "believers" are expected to cleanse the world of "infadels." Translation: mulsims are supposed to kill non-muslims.
Along these lines, here is an additional link declaring why the fatwa is bogus.
As Christians, we are to love these people. They are the way they are because they don't believe in the God (the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob). They need to know that God isn't impersonal. He loves us and wants a relationship with us. That relationship comes after we are made right by the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus (Isa), on the cross. He was crucified, died, and rose again three days later.
Christians, if we don't tell, who will?!
While surfing this evening, I came across this article with points on witnessing to a Muslim. I found it very interesting. Here are a summary of the points made:
1. Where did Jesus say, “I am God, worship me”?
2. “Why do you worship three gods? How are you better than idolaters? Repent and acknowledge that God has no equals.”
3. “How can you demean God and say he begets a son? God has no female partner that he should have a son. Begetting is an animal act that is not fit for the holiness of God.”
4. The Bible has so much evil in it: murder, rape, incest, prostitution, adultery. It is immoral. How can you believe it is the word of God?
5. Jesus prophesied the coming of Mohammed: “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever.” (John 14:16). Why do you not believe Jesus?
6. The Bible has been corrupted. How can you trust it?
7. Your Bible says that God “rested” on the seventh day. Your “god” is weak. The Qur’an says God never grows tired. God cannot be tired! How can you believe in such a weak god?
8. The Bible says not to eat pork, and that men must be circumcised. Why have Christians turned away from the commands of God?
9. Why does the Bible show Jesus drinking wine, and even using a miracle to create wine? Why all this moral decadence?
10. How can you say God did not create evil? Who but God can create?
11. Jesus did not die, neither was he crucified. Why do you believe God would abandon Jesus to such a death?
12. No one can atone for the sins of another. No one can carry another’s sins. When you live sinful lives and trust Jesus to save you, are you not just kidding yourselves?
Many Christians have grown up in cultures that are Christian in name only, and too often we let ourselves be dragged down into the godless lifestyle of the atheists and agnostics around us. If you are a Christian who has let sexual temptation drive his life into sin, who has let greed or selfishness or worldliness drive his life away from God, the first thing to do is to turn back to God. Someone who has turned away from God cannot witness to him effectively. If you want to effectively witness to people who pray five times a day, fast 40 days a year, and have large portions of their scriptures memorized, each of us then has an obligation to make sure his own life is in order. Each person must examine himself before presuming to instruct others.
How about it? Are we really christians, or are we just doing what we always have done?
I met a guy at work a few weeks ago named Erich Bridges. Turns out he is a big writer for the International Mission Board (and other publications too). Here is a link to a good article of his that was recently published in Baptist Press about the size of houses in America.
Ever wonder what was going on inside your printer? Well, Dean Armstrong is a guy who has taken apart several inkjet printers.
I disassembled a broken Epson C80 inkjet printer the other day. They nearly always clog if you don't use them constantly, if you use them constantly but have low humidity, or if you look at them the wrong way. It was a useful exercise, and I learned a few things about the state of printer engineering and how things change over time
I've taken apart a number of inkjet printers, starting with old HP Deskjets from 1990. They used encoders and standard motors too, but the printer was designed to last. Canon Bubblejets from the mid-90's used steppers; and I had always assumed all printers would from now on. The HP Deskjets also used a Z80 CPU; I'd always loved that an ancient processor was still being used in embedded stuff. Keith tells me it's a great processor.
I would have had a huge absorptive sponge too, but it was full of ink.
Makes you wonder if you really run out of ink because you use it all or because the printer wastes a ton of it.
In this articke, Google's Gmail is used as a spam filter.
I have a gmail account, but have never used it (I didn't want to change e-mail addresses, again. But I recently decided to give this a shot. I didn't do it exactly as described, so here is what I did:
1. — I configured every e-mail account I had access to so the e-mail was forwarded to my gmail account. Please note, that this wasn't done in my email client as a rule. I could configure the mail account to "forward to" another e-mail address.
2. — In #1, the forwarding ensured that no mail would be delivered to the accounts. I left my e-mail app alone (yes, it still checks those accounts for mail). However, I ought to configure my client to never check for mail at those addresses again.
3. — I set my gmail account up for POP3 access. I have it leaving the mail on Google's servers. That way, I can search it there if I ever have to.
4. — I then configured my mail client to check my gmail mail.
5. — I undid the configuration of my mail client so my mail is no longer checked by SAProxy (an anchient version that only did ok).
So far, it appears to be working great. It already catches much more spam than my anchient GPL version of SAProxy (alas, it isn't free anymore). But, I must say that SAProxy only did ok. I had to block most spam using black lists.
I'm going to let this run for a week or two and update everyone on how successfull it is.
[Update 2007-03-16 07:49:26] This has worked out so well that I'm still doing it. Plus I get the convienence of webmail with none of the hassles of web only mail.
A young Indian missionary has been sentenced to one year in prison and beaten hundreds of times in Saudi Arabia, where up to 100 foreign Christians have been detained in recent weeks, a mission organization said Thursday, June 30.
In Saudi Arabia, public expression of any faith except Islam is illegal. The country’s royal family has claimed individuals are permitted to practice any religion in their own homes, but the arrests of Indian and other Christians show persecution, CAM and other human rights groups have said.
Remember our Christian brothers and sisters who are tortured for the cause of Christ.
[Update 2012-12-26 15:12:00] The worthy news link changed. I’ve updated it.
This is cool. Enjoy!
Well, it seems people are using "christian" feelings to try and trick people with the old nigerian spam trick. Look at this piece of spam I received today:
Paul Rickey & Associates
Barr. Paul Rickey (Esq.)
Dear Beloved in Christ,
It is with Heavy Heart i am reaching you regarding the death of my late client.
I am Paul Rickey, the legal adviser to late MR. MIKE & CAROL HALL, a very Wealthy Couple that lived here in the United Kingdom, before their recent Death on the 26th of December during the Tsunami disaster last year (2004). http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4153821.stm) these couple served God as very dedicated Christians, they so dedicated their life to God but they had no child till they died. They acquired a lot of landed properties like lands, Stocks/Bond, house properties, etc. As their legal adviser, before their death,the husband Mr. Mike & Carol Hall instructed me to write his WILL because they had no child, they dedicated their wealth to God.
According to the WILL, their assets should be given out to a ministry for the work of God. As their legal adviser, all the documents for the assets that are deposited with the security company are in my care. He gave me the authority to give out the funds to the Ministries for the work of God.
As instructed by MR.MIKE HALL before his death. As a matter of fact the total amount of money that is contained in the two trunk Boxes is US$10,000,000.00, They did not want the management of the Security Company to know the content of the consignments,therefore they registered the content of the consignments as Gold Bars. Now, the security company believes that what They deposited with them were Gold Bars.
As a born again Christian, I have been reading my bible and I have to do what is lawful and right in the sight of God by giving out the fund to the chosen ministry for the purpose of God's work as instructed by the owner before his death. After my fasting and prayers Today, I asked God to make his choice and direct me to an honest Christian or the chosen ministry that deserves this fund by his Grace.
I then came across your address on the Internet as I was browsing through a Christian site. I appeal to you for the fund to be used wisely for things that will glorify the name of God. I have just notified the Security Company where they deposited the consignments that contained the fund, that I am moving the consignment abroad, and the security company is awaiting my authority to move the consignment out of the shores of my country.
Dear child of Zion, if you know that you will use this fund honestly and wisely for things that will glorify God's name, then do contact me with the above mentioned information via Fax:+44 8701206888 Your prompt response will be highly appreciated; Do send me your contact telephone number so that I can reach you on telephone.
Fax me on +44 8701206888
In His Services,
Barr. Paul Rickey (Esq)
Why pick a person? Why not give the money to some great mission sending agency? ARG. SPAM
I received this link today dealing with Splitting California into three states. What an idea! What a way for the liberals to rip control. With three states instead of two, liberal power in the senate would increase by 4 (remember, each state gets two regardless of size). This is the same as New York City becoming a state or Washington DC statehood.
Now, I have heard (but not found any "credible" references on Google) that the treaty that brought the Republic of Texas into the US allowed it to be divided into as many as 5 states. If the liberals want to carve up California, New York, and DC just to steal the senate (and the government) back, I say split Texas. But, remember that not only does the US Government have to agree to the split but the state the that is being split has to agree too.
This–a state splitting–has only happened once that I know of. That was in the Civil War when Virginia split from Virginia. That happened, basically, because of a technicality of how the founding fathers of WV were recognized as the "Restored Government of Virginia" and asked themselves for permission to split. For more information, these sites are interesting: