…I made an alcohol stove. Here in England, I haven’t found a source for HEET so I tried test firing it with rubbing alcohol but it didn’t do too much. So, I did some looking and yesterday bought some methylated spirits (basically ethanol that has anti-drinking agents in it. Found out about it from Adventures in Stoving). The stove finally lit and the holes on the outside got fire…but it wasn’t very much. When I set a pot on top, the fire was snuffed out.
Well, I thought the problem was I didn’t have it together good enough so I pushed down on the top. Long story short, I ended up and crushed it (the picture to the left is after I pulled it back out). I decided it was ruined too bad so I’m going to make another.
Here’s some videos showing what I used as the basis for mine:
And because you tube videos have a bad habit of disappearing, here are local mirrors of pt1, pt2, and pt3.
[Update 2013-06-25 06:50:42] Here’s a link to my new stove burning nicely.